Monday, November 24, 2008

The Peculiar Life of Sundays...

This afternoon during lunch I found myself drawn to this past weekends edition of the Wall Street Journal. I was originally lured by an essay on Pirates which, I must confess, the older I get is a topic that never seems to lose its intriguing appeal. I suppose I can probably safely assume I am not alone in this fascination per the success of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. Just this past Halloween I saw a woman dressed as Captain Jack Sparrow but that is probably drifting toward a discussion I am disinclined to acquiesce in this post.

After finishing the essay on Pirates I continued through the section and stumbled across a book review for a book entitled: The Peculiar Life of Sundays by Stephen Miller. After reading through the review and excerpt I am even more compelled to add this book to my Amazon wish list. I have often found myself thinking about the subculture that is Sunday and how it probably means something entirely different to each of us. Dependent on a number of influences, everything from childhood experiences to chosen profession, the traditions we are inwardly paving within the minds of our children has substantial root in generations that came before us. I struggle with believing that what we do has any significant meaning or lasting imprint upon peoples lives. While my struggles are undoubtedly shared with many, both previous and present, I would like to think we are striving not to create something relevant to culture but something relevant to Christ. In Him lies all the answers, I am sure, but to unravel the mystery that reveals those answers is a task I am in no means adept. In any case I found the review intriguing and thought I would pass it along...

1 comment:

Tiffany Nevil said...

Trav, seriously? You want to read that? It sounds like a discertation on fundamental, legalistic religion. Fun times.

And that poem he talks about? What a sad way to look at eternal life! I just can't stand reading stuff by people with that kind of perspective. It's so depressing and sad that people in our society/culture think that is what Christ/Christianity/Christendom is about. No wonder Donald Miller had issues....I have issues if you look at it like that...

This quote cracked me up and ticked me off: "At the center of that struggle have been conflicting efforts to define the doctrines and practices of a religion based on the life, death and reputed resurrection of a first-century Palestinian Jew, proclaimed by many of his followers as the unique son of the Hebrew God." His resurrection is reputed but not his life or his death?

What a horrible, life-stealing definition! UGH! I wouldn't want to be a part of that either-no wonder the author reeked of so much sarcasm and bitterness.

Sorry bud, it left a bad taste in my mouth. But hey, let me know what you think after you read the book. :)

He he he he he....

Thanks for letting me be a snot,
Tiff

P.S....and if you don't want to let me be a snot you can delete my comment. :D

P.P.S. After you read the book we'd like to hear what your perpsective of Sunday mornings is. Why do you go?